wxPython for the rttov gui

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Amirhossein NikfalAmirhossein Nikfal
    Participant

Greetings,

I have problems with installing the rttov gui. I have installed the wxpython-3.0.1.1 manually. In the rttov_gui_v12_install.pdf, it has been recommended to specify the location of the wxPython installation as below:

WXPYTHON_PREFIX= # Directory where wxPython is installed
    PYTHONPATH=${WXPYTHON_PREFIX}/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2:${WXPYTHON_PREFIX}/lib/python2.7/site-packages/:${PYTHONPATH}
    export PYTHONPATH
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${WXPYTHON_PREFIX}/wxpython/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

But the problem is that in my installation directory, non of those paths are available.
    The contents of my wxPython installation directory are as follows:

acinclude.m4     autogen.sh    config.guess  demos        include     locale          regen        src                wx-config-inplace.in
    aclocal.m4       build         config.sub    descrip.mms  install-sh  Makefile.in     samples      utils              wxPython
    art              buildgtk      configure     distrib      interface   mkinstalldirs   setup.h.in   version-script.in  wxPython.spec
    autoconf_inc.m4  BuildSVN.txt  configure.in  docs         lib         README.1st.txt  setup.h_vms  wx-config.in       wxwin.m4

Any help would be appreciated.

My regards,
    Amir

James HockingJames Hocking
    Keymaster

Hi Amir,

I can see that you have lib/ directory in your wxpython directory: are the paths indicated in the user guide not within this directory?

lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2
    lib/python2.7/site-packages

If this does not work, can you try installing the GUI dependencies using anaconda or miniconda? This provides an easy way to manage python environments, and to install packages and their dependencies:
    https://www.anaconda.com/distribution/
    https://docs.conda.io/en/latest/miniconda.html

Best wishes,
    James

Participant

Actually there are not any python2.7 and site-packages directories at all.
    The contents of “~/wxPython-src-3.0.1.1/wxPython/wx” are as follows:
    build lib py tools

But I wonder how I can make this installed wxpython to be recognized by conda environment? And therefore, wx could be imported.

Keymaster

Hi Amir,

What is in this directory:
    ~/wxPython-src-3.0.1.1/lib/

Or failing that, what is in this directory:
    ~/wxPython-src-3.0.1.1/wxPython/wx/lib/

The paths in the user guide are in the lib/ directory: you have lib/ directories in both file listings you have posted above 🙂

The point of using conda is that it makes it very easy to install packages, so I would just use it to install wxpython (completely separately to your own installation), and it will manage any dependencies. For installing the GUI we recommend using conda to sort out the dependencies: this is how I manage my python environment for the GUI.

Best wishes,
    James

Participant

Hi James,

I think the libraries you’re looking for might be in the directory below, where I compiled the package:
    ~/wxPython-src-3.0.1.1/buildgtk/lib/
    Contents are:
    libwx_baseu-3.0.so libwx_gtk3u_aui-3.0.so libwx_gtk3u_propgrid-3.0.so libwx_gtk3u_stc-3.0.so
    libwx_baseu-3.0.so.0 libwx_gtk3u_aui-3.0.so.0 libwx_gtk3u_propgrid-3.0.so.0 libwx_gtk3u_stc-3.0.so.0
    libwx_baseu-3.0.so.0.1.0 libwx_gtk3u_aui-3.0.so.0.1.0 libwx_gtk3u_propgrid-3.0.so.0.1.0 libwx_gtk3u_stc-3.0.so.0.1.0
    libwx_baseu_net-3.0.so libwx_gtk3u_core-3.0.so libwx_gtk3u_qa-3.0.so libwx_gtk3u_xrc-3.0.so
    libwx_baseu_net-3.0.so.0 libwx_gtk3u_core-3.0.so.0 libwx_gtk3u_qa-3.0.so.0 libwx_gtk3u_xrc-3.0.so.0
    libwx_baseu_net-3.0.so.0.1.0 libwx_gtk3u_core-3.0.so.0.1.0 libwx_gtk3u_qa-3.0.so.0.1.0 libwx_gtk3u_xrc-3.0.so.0.1.0
    libwx_baseu_xml-3.0.so libwx_gtk3u_gl-3.0.so libwx_gtk3u_ribbon-3.0.so libwxjpeg-3.0.a
    libwx_baseu_xml-3.0.so.0 libwx_gtk3u_gl-3.0.so.0 libwx_gtk3u_ribbon-3.0.so.0 libwxregexu-3.0.a
    libwx_baseu_xml-3.0.so.0.1.0 libwx_gtk3u_gl-3.0.so.0.1.0 libwx_gtk3u_ribbon-3.0.so.0.1.0 libwxscintilla-3.0.a
    libwx_gtk3u_adv-3.0.so libwx_gtk3u_html-3.0.so libwx_gtk3u_richtext-3.0.so wx
    libwx_gtk3u_adv-3.0.so.0 libwx_gtk3u_html-3.0.so.0 libwx_gtk3u_richtext-3.0.so.0
    libwx_gtk3u_adv-3.0.so.0.1.0 libwx_gtk3u_html-3.0.so.0.1.0 libwx_gtk3u_richtext-3.0.so.0.1.0

Contents of ~/wxPython-src-3.0.1.1/wxPython/wx/lib/
    activex.py colourdb.py expando.py hyperlink.py msgpanel.py printout.py splashscreen.py
    activexwrapper.py colourselect.py fancytext.py iewin_old.py multisash.py progressindicator.py splitter.py
    agw colourutils.py filebrowsebutton.py iewin.py mvctree.py pubsub statbmp.py
    analogclock combotreebox.py flashwin_old.py imagebrowser.py myole4ax.idl pydocview.py stattext.py
    anchors.py customtreectrl.py flashwin.py imageutils.py myole4ax.tlb pyshell.py throbber.py
    art delayedresult.py flatnotebook.py infoframe.py newevent.py rcsizer.py ticker.py
    busy.py dialogs.py floatbar.py __init__.py nvdlg.py resizewidget.py ticker_xrc.py
    buttonpanel.py docview.py floatcanvas inspection.py ogl rightalign.py utils.py
    buttons.py dragscroller.py foldmenu.py intctrl.py pdfviewer rpcMixin.py wordwrap.py
    calendar.py editor foldpanelbar.py itemspicker.py pdfwin_old.py scrolledpanel.py wxcairo.py
    calendar.pyc embeddedimage.py gestures.py langlistctrl.py pdfwin.py sheet.py wxPlotCanvas.py
    CDate.py eventStack.py graphics.py layoutf.py platebtn.py shell.py wxpTag.py
    ClickableHtmlWindow.py eventwatcher.py gridmovers.py masked plot.py sized_controls.py
    colourchooser evtmgr.py grids.py mixins popupctl.py softwareupdate.py

My regards
    Amir

Keymaster

Hi Amir,

I will ask my colleague who develops the GUI if she can help with this, but we do recommend using anaconda/miniconda to install the python packages required for running the GUI including wxpython, and that will avoid this problem.

Best wishes,
    James

Participant

James,

I forgot to mention that I have successfully installed wxPython_V4 by conda, but due to the user guide, this version is not compatible with the rttov gui, and wxPython_V3 is required. In this case, the rttov_gui_f2py.so library cannot be made after the compilation.
    Unfortunately, conda cannot install wxPython_V3 in my system (Fedora 31). Because of this issue, I had to install wxPython_V3 from its source code.

Kind regards
    Amir

Pascale RoquetPascale Roquet
    Participant

Dear Amir,

With conda it is possible to install a previous version of wxpython.
    There is a conda channel where the version 3 is still available:
    could you try :
    conda install -c free wxpython

Best regards,

Pascale

Participant

Dear Pascale,

Many thanks for your help. wxPython_V3 has been installed by conda.
    Now after running rttovgui, these errors occur:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “rcontroller/controller.py”, line 22, in <module>
    import rmodel
    File “/home/ah/rttov/gui/rmodel/__init__.py”, line 1, in <module>
    from . import project
    File “/home/ah/rttov/gui/rmodel/project.py”, line 29, in <module>
    import rttov
    File “/home/ah/rttov/gui/rttov/__init__.py”, line 22, in <module>
    from . import getcoefval
    File “/home/ah/rttov/gui/rttov/getcoefval.py”, line 7, in <module>
    from rttov_gui_f2py import rttov_gui_get_coef_val_i0, \
    ImportError: /usr/lib64/libssh.so.4: undefined symbol: EVP_KDF_ctrl, version OPENSSL_1_1_1b

Kind regards
    Amir

Participant

Dear Amir,

This error message does not seem related to rttov gui.
    Although rttovgui does not use libssh,
    could you check with your system administrator the installation of libssh ?
    What Linux distribution do you use?

Pascale

Participant

Dear Pascale,

I think it cannot import some python modules inside the gui directory, such as remodel, rttov, etc. Modifying rttov_gui.env or setting PYTHONPATH did not help to work around this problem.
    There is not any administrator. I’m working on my laptop with the Fedora-31 OS.

Amir

Participant

Dear Amir,

Do you use anaconda or miniconda ?
    In my experience, some users have encountered problems with anaconda:
    So I recommend rather the use of miniconda.
    If you already use miniconda, I will try to reproduce your problem
    on a fedora 31 distribution.

Best Regards,

Pascale

Participant

Amir,

In the rttov_gui.env with miniconda you just have to change RTTOV_GUI_PREFIX

Pascale

Participant

Pascale,

I have installed conda as the python package manager. But these modules seem not to be related to the conda environment.
    I didn’t change anything in rttov_gui.env, but RTTOV_GUI_PREFIX. Though I thought setting PYTHONPATH variable might help to import those modules (rmodel, rttov etc.), but didn’t.

Amir

Keymaster

Hi Amir,

Did you install conda through anaconda or miniconda? Pascale’s comment is that some users have had issues when they installed anaconda rather than miniconda.

The error message suggests that the GUI modules (rmodel, rttov) were found, but the failure is related to libssh which is not specific to the GUI, and rather is something more system-related.

Best wishes,
    James

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.