Questions about the output of transmittance

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    liu xuanliu xuan
    Participant

Hi,

I’m using the RTTOV_SCATT module to calculate the weight function of the AMSR2 microwave radiometer. Here, we need to use the optical depth or transmittance of each layer. There is a parameter called emiss_retrieval_terms in the RTTOV_SCATT module. Its explanation is that the output structure contains radiation and transmission data, which can be used for all-sky emission retrievals. However, I also found another module-Transmission Struture. One of the parameters is tau_levels (nlevel, nchanprof). This can also output the transmittance of each layer. I want to know which of these two modules can obtain the transmittance of each pressure layer. Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks

James HockingJames Hocking
    Keymaster

Hi,

The transmission structure is not an output of RTTOV-SCATT, and the emissivity retrieval terms structure only contains total atmospheric transmittances, not level-to-space transmittances.

Unfortunately it is not possible to obtain level-to-space transmittances from RTTOV-SCATT. You can obtain clear-sky transmittances by running the same simulation in RTTOV (and if using v13.1 or v13.2 you can set opts%rt_all%transmittances_only to true for faster calculations). These are transmittances for the RTTOV pressure levels, not the RTTOV-SCATT pressure half-levels.

There is not currently any way to obtain cloudy transmittances from RTTOV-SCATT.

Best wishes,
    James

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.