Questions about coefficient generation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Li ZetingLi Zeting
    Participant

Hi,
    I want to generate the coefficients of the microwave instrument.However I can’t find the AMSUTRAN code. Now, I have a procedure for regression, but it’s not clear how to get the code for line-by-line model. Thereby I was wondering whether Monortm could be used to replace AMSUTRAN for computeing optical depth then generating regression coefficients.

Thanks!
    Zeting

James HockingJames Hocking
    Keymaster

Hi Zeting,

AMSUTRAN is a research software produced within the NWP SAF as part of the wider coefficient generation software. We do not make this available to users because we do not want to spend time supporting it (it is complex software).

We strongly recommend that you make a request to us (the NWP SAF) for RTTOV coefficients rather than trying to calculate your own. There are subtleties involved in generating them that can easily lead to sub-standard coefficients being produced if you are not careful (there have been examples of this). We do not provide support to users to generate their own coefficients, but we actively support users by providing coefficients including those for experimental or research purposes.

Please feel free to make a request via the Help Desk providing the pass band (or spectral response) information and information on channel polarisations.

If you are determined to calculate your own coefficients, then to answer your question, yes, any LBL model can in theory be used.

Best wishes,
    James

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.