Enabling solar radiation in RTTOV

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    SWADHIN SATAPATHYSWADHIN SATAPATHY
    Participant

Hi All,

I’m trying to add the solar contribution to the spectrum while running RTTOV. I did that by setting myRttov.Options.AddSolar = True. But as per the user guide it will only add the solar contribution to the IR channels in the 3-5 micron range. It is also mentioned that users have noted that a solar contribution due to sun glint can be detected even in window channels in the thermal IR. By default these channels are considered thermal-only, but it is possible to include the solar contribution for them by setting the element of coefs%coef%ss_val_chn(:) corresponding to the channel in question to 1 after the coefficient file has been read.

Is there a way I can do that in the python wrapper, to include the contribution due to sun glints in the thermal IR channels (10-12 micron)?

James HockingJames Hocking
    Keymaster

Hi,

You can’t do this in code in the wrapper, but you can achieve the same thing by editing the rtcoef file directly. Look for the “SOLAR_SPECTRUM” section. The second column contains the flag indicating thermal-only (0), solar-only (2), or mixed thermal+solar (1) for each channel. For the thermal IR channels of interest, change the 0 to 1. (As an aside it is worth saying that you must not change any solar-only channels to mixed (i.e., do not change 2 to 1) because this will not work).

Note that if the instrument is in low-Earth orbit then the thermal IR channels will only have been trained over 6 secants (up to zenith angles at around 65 degrees). Therefore the accuracy of the optical depth prediction will be degraded for larger solar zenith angles.

Best wishes,
    James

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.